Determination of the Relationship of Serum Hyaluronic Acid Levels to the Degree of Liver Fibrosis in Biopsies of Patients with Chronic Viral Hepatitis B and C

AUTHORS

Faride Moradi Moghaddam 1 , Hossein Arrbabi 2 , * , Mohammad Khajedaloei 1

1 Department of Internal Medicine, Ghaem Hospital, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Khorasan, IR-Iran

2 Department of Internal Medicine, Ghaem Hospital, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, [email protected], Khorasan, IR-Iran

How to Cite: Moghaddam F, Arrbabi H, Khajedaloei M. Determination of the Relationship of Serum Hyaluronic Acid Levels to the Degree of Liver Fibrosis in Biopsies of Patients with Chronic Viral Hepatitis B and C , Hepat Mon. Online ahead of Print ; 10(3):168-172.

ARTICLE INFORMATION

Hepatitis Monthly: 10 (3); 168-172
Article Type: Research Article
Received: October 25, 2009
Accepted: May 9, 2010

Crossmark

CHEKING

READ FULL TEXT
Abstract

Background and Aims: Determining the stage of liver fibrosis and the grade of necroinflammation is important in predicting the prognosis and treatment response of patients with chronic viral hepatitis. Liver biopsy is associated with several technical problems and complications; therefore, its repetitive performance as a procedure in evaluating treatment response and in following up patients is not recommended. This study was performed to determine the correlation of serum hyaluronic acid (HA) levels with the stage and grade of histopathologic liver changes in patients with chronic hepatitis B and C.

Methods: This analytical cross-sectional study was performed on 69 patients with chronic hepatitis B or C in Mashhad, Iran, who were referred to our clinic and underwent liver biopsy and blood sampling simultaneously in 2006-2007. None of the patients were on medication that would affect the serum levels of (HA) and patients with signs of arthropathy were excluded from the study.

Results: Out of the 69 patients in this study, 48 (69.6%) were male and 21 (30.4%) were female. The causative virus in 29 patients (42%) was hepatitis C and in the rest (n = 40, 58%) hepatitis B. The severity of liver fibrosis (stage) had a direct correlation (r = 0.25, P = 0.042) with the levels of (HA) and an inverse correlation with the platelet level (r = 0.37, P = 0.002). The degree of liver necroinflammation (grade) did not have a significant correlation with the levels of (HA) and alanine transaminase (r = -0.01, P = 0.9; r = 0.21, P = 0.09 respectively); instead, there was an inverse correlation with platelet levels (r = 0.36, P = 0.003).

Conclusions: Our study results correspond with those of other international studies; thus suggesting that the (HA) serum level is a useful marker in determining the severity of fibrosis in patients with chronic viral hepatitis. To form a definite conclusion, further studies on large groups should be performed.

Keywords

Cirrhosis Hyaluronic Acid Chronic Viral Hepatitis

© 0, Author(s). This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits copy and redistribute the material just in noncommercial usages, provided the original work is properly cited.

Full Text

Full text is available in PDF

COMMENTS

LEAVE A COMMENT HERE: